If your church has an existing domain name that your congregation is familiar with, continuing to use it for your Faithlife Site is the ideal configuration. However, not all churches have the technical expertise to manage their domain registrar settings and/or troubleshooting when issues arise. If this describes your church, Faithlife will manage your domain on your behalf and complete the configuration required.
Note: To transfer your domain name to Faithlife, you must have a Faithlife Sites Premium subscription.
In this tutorial you will learn how to transfer your domain name to Faithlife. You will need to know your website registrar login information to complete these steps. This tutorial uses GoDaddy as an example —other domain registrars will be similar.
The basic steps for transferring your domain are:
- Disable WHOIS/domain privacy
- Ensure the admin email address is up-to-date
- Unlock the domain
- Get the transfer authorization code
- Contact customer support to request a domain transfer
- Approve the transfer request when you receive the email
Step one: disable WHOIS/domain privacy
- From your GoDaddy My Product page, expand the Domains category, find the domain name that you wish to use, and click the Manage button.
- Under Contact Information, select Remove privacy. You'll need to confirm this step.
Step two: ensure the admin email address is up-to-date
- From the Domain Settings page used in step one above, confirm the contact information is correct. Select Edit to change the information, if necessary.
Step three: unlock the domain
- From the Domain Settings page, scroll down to Additional Settings.
- Select Edit next to Domain lock and click the slider to turn it Off. This will change the status to Off (Pending).
Step four: get the transfer authorization code
- From the Domain Settings page, scroll to the bottom of the page and select Get authorization code.
- This will send an email to the email address in your contact information containing your authorization code. You'll need to provide this code to customer support in step five below.
Step five: contact customer support to request a domain transfer
- Contact Customer Support at 888-634-2038 or firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate a domain transfer.
- If emailing support, include the authorization code provided in your email.
Step six: approve the transfer request when you receive the email
- Faithlife will process the support request and complete the next implementation steps required.
- Once we've completed these implementation steps, you'll receive an email requesting a confirmation of domain transfer.
- Confirm the transfer.
That's it! Faithlife can now manage your domain on your behalf.